Sunday 21 July 2013

That Aunty!

So I went to an Iftar party today after a long long time. I was talking to my mum when suddenly an aunty appeared and sat beside me seeing the seat was not taken. okay, no complains there. She started a small conversation with me and my mum about random stuff and me and my mum continued to keep her company. Still no complains. But, on finding out that I was not married she started acting like a typical rishtay wali aunty and started asking to me about my education and whether I could run a kitchen on my own like a chef. I wasn't bothered much by her questions cause I do keep coming across such 'wonderful' people once in a while, until she bombed me with this, :"aur beta, namaz parrhti ho? and rozay wagera?". Believe me, her question was so sudden and so inept that my expressions gave way and she took the hint that I was actually offended by it. She suddenly changed her stance and said," mera matlab hai aj kal log namaz nai parhtay and rozay nai rakhtay na..". OKAY. my mind was continuously bursting with this: so who in the world appointed you the moral police of Muslims dear aunty? I don't know why people don't realize how unethical it is to ask someone about how much they pray and whether they keep a fast or not. It is a personal matter and if you do that then Allah is there to reward you. Also, offering Prayers and Fasting are not concepts introduced to us Muslims yesterday. These two acts are the two most important pillars of a Muslim's Imaan. Allah surely blesses those who follow the right way of His deen and Guides the wandered off people whenever He wishes to.

Asking someone random and unknown whether they fast and offer prayers or not is the most Riddikulus (a potter head would get this) of things. One should know what sort of questions to ask to a person you just started talking to. If someone is being friendly enough to you doesn't mean you have the licence to go overboard! Some of the Pakistani aunties need life long lessons to learn that it is NOT okay to ask personal questions to people who are not your friends or relatives; It is NOT okay to poke your nose into lives of others and ask questions that might hurt them (apki divorce kyun hogaye, apki beti ki han bachay nahi horahay etc) and it is NOT okay to pretend pious and be a complete maniac when it comes to knowing about something simple called ethics and manners. All this just gave me a reason to avoid any iftar parties in future, or rather being friendly with a random aunty.

No comments:

Post a Comment